Skip to main content

Academic Writing

          I am here to talk about writing for a class paper or something like that. Well, here is a thing about me I am not good at this one. I have only chosen it because some people don't know who it is done. To the younger people who have yet to write a real first paper. So this is how it is in life. Not really real life but in your school life, this will help you get better grades, most of the time. First of all, you will want your name on it.
          I am not joking and you are going to laugh at me for it. But so many people do not put names on paper or even claim it as their own. That is the first issue. If you have to write something put your name on it. Fess up and get the grade that you worked for, even if it is not a good one. We all have to do it. It doesn't matter if you like your grade or not, all you have to do is ask and see if you could fix it and turn it in. On the picture above this, that person from what it looks like has a date on the paper. Now that is okay because one that is online and you don't want to give out too much information about yourself if you don't want. But if she were to turn it in just like that the teacher would not know who's it was and would start looking for people who didn't turn it in. So back to what I was saying it is very important that your name is at the top of the page.
          The other important thing that I have learned is that it helps to have the date on the paper as well, this is not needed but I would advise that you put it there, only to know what day it was turned in and what day it was given back. I would also add the class as well. I would do this in case it is a take home paper and you have to work on it at home. In case it is dropped people would know which classroom it would go to. I would also suggest NOT losing it but we all lose things sometimes. I can admit that I lose things sometimes as well, but that is not the point.
          Now to the real writing bit of it. Some teachers don't explain this very well, so that is why you are going to get it from me. A high school student. I would say that the intro to the paper should be different. Say you are doing something about dogs. You would not want it to be the same as the person sitting next to you, and you would not want it very boring either. A boring intro would be, "I am going to talk about why dogs are very good to mankind. They are good because ..." and so on. I think you get the point. It might be best to address it head on, but not that way. A better way would be, "Dogs, also known as a man's best friend would be the best thing to have as a pet. I say this because ..." You get it. Change up a few words and there you go, it is already slightly better than everyone else. An intro should be different, something with your own touch to it. Saying something about you without telling them straight on about what you think. From the teachers I had in middle school they said that every paragraph that I write should be at least ten to 15 sentences, but when I got to high school I was being told that a paragraph can be as long as I want it to be. It could be ten sentences, or twenty, or even three as long as I gave the information right.
          After the intro, I find that the first thing in the list of three things that you give at the start of the paper should be the first one that you address. So, going back to my first example, if the first thing that you said was because dogs are there to make you feel not so alone than you would start with that in this first body paragraph. I have been taught this thing that I find very interesting. It is green, yellow, red, yellow, red, yellow, red blue. Green is for go yes. And it means the same thing in this. Green in you can move forward. The yellow thought is to slow down and show me proof. Red is, of course, stop and explain. So I would say, this person says this and this and this, that would be yellow. The red would be stopping and telling the people WHY you used it, why you put it there. What you think it means. If you look at the color thing you see that you have to have three pieces of text to use. The yellow is small and the red is the biggest. That leaves blue. Now, blue is a weird one. I will give you that much. Blue means a way or sentence to move from this first paragraph to the next. You see in talking you NEVER skip around in your words. You don't say, this and this and this and then go on with saying in the next sentence or next break about something completely different. You don't talk that way. The way you write is not the way you speak, it never ends up that way. But you have to image it like this your holding a conversation with some in the future, your teacher maybe. One thing about that, you do not talk to your teacher the way you talk to your friends. Somehow we talk to our friends one way but our mother and father and teacher a completely different way, and that is what blue should be doing. Moving almost nonchalantly to the next topic. This paragraph should be a little more than 12 sentences, and that is the rest of the body of your paper.
         The conclusion sure just be you giving a summary of the what you have already talked about. You should not be giving new information in this. And after you give the brief summary you need to out your thesis in the conclusion. Some advice about writing a paper for school would be, do not use conjunctions. I mean words like "Don't" and "doesn't."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer is Here

          Well, summer for me has just started and you want to know what that means? It means writing, reading, and working. Yes, I do say working last because it is a part of life. I might not want to but I have to do something this summer other than stay at home and read or write. I have been working on something new. It is not my normal story. So I thought that I might share it with you. I thought that you might like to read it. The only thing is I have no clue where I am taking this story. All I know is that it is fashioned out of sadness and I am thinking that it will stay that way. All I know about the story is that it is going to be a werewolf. That is it. I am just going to copy and paste my little first chapter here and then the next one is going to be in the next blog. I thought that you might like me to at least tell you what was going on instead of just getting a wall of text on your computer or phone screen.           Everything is changed now. Nothing is ever goin

New Book!

I am proud to present a new book! Its been out for a couple of months, but that doesn't mean that it isn't still new. It's called The Hunter by Gabby Covington. Yes, that is me! The pictures below are the back and front of the book. It's currently on Amazon for $16.95 in paperback form. And it's one Kindle Unlimited for free at the moment. Check it out. The link is at the bottom of the page. If you like it check out some other works by me at Movellas. Link to Amazon -  https://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Gabby-Covington/dp/1092401865 Link to Movellas -  https://www.movellas.com/user/gabrielle781

Introducing

          My name would be Gabby and as the image above tells you I am also a writer. I thought that this would be a good chance to start by getting my name out there. So here I am I am getting my name out there. I am going to try to blog, but I must confess I am not very good at writing down what I feel. I almost always stop doing it because it becomes something of a trouble to do, and most of the time I can never figure out what I am supposed to write down, but I am doing it now so, that is that.            I can tell you that one of the things that I write is vampire stuff. As unimpressive as that sounds, just hear me out here, I find them interesting. Vampires to me are the most interesting thing you can think of. For some, it would be like real life to others something else, but I like vampires. Actually, I like anything supernatural. Vampires are just what I find the most interesting.            Other than what I like to write, I want to know what you like to read. And a